About me

Having spent the last decade in five different countries, I have gotten to know a lot of new ingredients, cooking methods and recipes. But through these experiences, I have also developed a more personal relationship to food and learned what I like to eat and make. I am all about simple good food, a whole-grain approach to all kinds of baking, avoiding unnecessary fusion, and not using any fat-reduced dairy products. Among other things.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Favourite shopping

One of the perks of living in Asia is the shopping. And I don't mean the clothes - I mean the kitchen accessories. I am an avid lover of all thing stainless and melamine, and anything you can put stuff in, or put in stuff. Or just use for baking and cooking.

On my casual stroll home form the pool this morning - yes, I am a part-time house-wife in her early forties with a duty to keep fit, especially considering the hours spent in the kitchen - I saw in the corner of my eye a shop I had never seen before. Outside were piles of buckets, bathroom carpets, brooms, towels and lots of different large tupperware. The latter is always a good sign. I went in, and paradise unfolded. It had it all - both the do-it-yourself stuff that is needed around the house like rope, tape, hammers, lightbulbs, paint and other more hardcore paraphernalia. But it also had my favourite metal and plastic, to fill my all too small kitchen cupboards and eventually moving boxes, but I did not care, as the kitchen devil had me.

Two cake tins, of two different sizes of course, are always useful. Then there were the melamine spoons; I know some people fear using melamine in the kitchen after the food security scare in China a few years ago, but it's not like I am going to grind it into powder and put it in the kids' milk. So that was a must have, especially since the old IKEA plastic spoons have more or less disintegrated after a decade of use. The potato press is new, but according to all the cooking experts I watch of Youtube nowadays it's a must. I used to like lumpy mashed potato, but clearly I was wrong. May also come in handy to mash healthy, secret ingredients to put in the kids' food. (More on that later if I get any good ideas.) The best thing of all are the baking trays - I had to buy two of them. In my mindbogglingly small oven, one has to maximise the size and number of one's baking trays, and these bad boys did the trick!



No comments:

Post a Comment